Domus Dei (Hospital of Saint Nicholas) was an almshouse and hospice established in 1212 in Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK by Pierre des Roches, Bishop of Winchester.
In 1540, like other religious buildings, it was seized by King Henry VIII and until 1560 was used as an armory. After 1560 it became the home of the local military governor. Throughout this time the chapel attached to the hospital remained in use and in 1662 it hosted the wedding of King Charles II and Princess Catherine of Braganza.
Towards the end of the 17th century it fell into disrepair until it was restored in 1867 to become the Garrison church.
On 10 January 1941 the buildings of Domus Dei were partially destroyed in an attack by German bombers.
Description from Wikipedia
Leave a Reply